quote


"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you

meet is fighting some kind of battle."





Monday, August 16, 2010

Saturday Night

Saturday night was a really fun night. We went over to a friend’s house and ate dinner and played games. It was great. My PDM (personal diabetes machine, the remote that controls my pod) had been going off every hour alerting me to the fact that my pod (pump) had expired and needed to be changed. I know from experience that I have at least a good 4-5 hours with an expired pod (granted I have ample supply of insulin), so I ignore it and plan to change it when I get home.


When we get home at 11pm, I change my pod and my site to the area right above my butt; I guess you would call it lower than my lower back towards my hip area. I do my normal increase of temporary basal and a small bolus to make sure things are flowing good and head to bed (with my dexcom monitoring as well). I wake up at 2:30am with a vibrating buzz alerting me that I am at 160, I take my blood sugar to confirm, take a bolus and go back to sleep, hoping it’s not a bad site. I wake up at 5:00am to another buzz but this time I am at 220….no good at all, must be a bad site, which means another pod change, woo hoo!!! And, at 5 in the morning, double woo hoo! So I check my blood sugar to confirm my dexcom and heck yeah, I’m high (not that I couldn’t tell already by the fact that it felt like someone had stuffed cotton balls in my mouth while asleep). I give myself an injection before my pod change so I know my blood sugar will come down quickly, regardless of my pod issues. So, I change my pod (blood comes gushing out confirming my bad site suspicions), do my temp basal and bolus and drink a whole lot of water. I stayed up for an hour and checked my blood sugar twice to make sure I was coming down and my dexcom confirmed with a nice downward arrow. :) I went back to sleep, good pod, good sugars, end of story, right?! Oh, how I wish that was the end of my story….

I began dreaming when I went back to sleep at 6am and I had a very vivid dream. I dreamt I had to go to the bathroom really, really bad. In my dream, I ran around this huge public restroom, running into random people from high school along the way. Some of the stalls I went into had no toilet, so I kept running around the bathroom and finally found a toilet. I run in and being to well, use the restroom……this is where I wake up in my bed and I’m Peeeeeeing!!!! Yes, that’s right, I peed in my bed. Luckily, I woke up before I was completely finished and was able to make it to the bathroom. I couldn’t believe what I had done. You may be thinking, oh gosh, what about poor Cary, well it was 7:30am and Cary was already awake getting ready for church, so luckily he was not in the bed at the time of said incident. I went downstairs to tell him what had happened. We both laughed so hard, I was crying and I have to admit, I still think it’s pretty hilarious. Good Times!

2 comments:

  1. OH my word....laughing so hard :) Thanks for sharing this little giggle....I needed it after the day I had! Can we pleae have a phone catch up session VERY soon? Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my God! I have the bathroom stall dream all the time, but I've never actually peed in the bed.

    This is hilarious. You are my hero for sharing your pee story with the Internet!

    ReplyDelete