quote


"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you

meet is fighting some kind of battle."





Thursday, August 12, 2010

10 Weeks

Today I am 10 weeks pregnant! YAY, finally in the double digits! My nausea has gotten much, much better, but really I shouldn’t complain because it wasn’t that bad to begin with (I never threw up, woo hoo!!). I think the main cause of my nausea was more my blood sugars than morning sickness. Trying to keep them steady is very difficult and I’ve had some low, lows (which can make you feel nauseous) and some rebound highs that basically make you feel like you are on a rollercoaster you never wanted to get on. It has taken a lot of adjustments, constant monitoring, juice boxes, and correction boluses, but at least for the moment I’m feeling good. The hormones of pregnancy, the growing baby and my own changing body make each week and sometimes each day, unpredictable.  I am working with an educator biweekly at my endocrinologist who helps me make insulin adjustments to my pump. It’s so nice to have someone to work with and just not feel so alone in all the daunting changes. It is really mind boggling just how much I’ve reduced my insulin since week 7. It’s hard to get used to seeing those low basal rates and insulin to carb ratios. I had so much insulin resistance from the time I found out I was pregnant until week 7, that I almost believed the lows would never arrive. I know resistance will be back at some point, but for now, I’m enjoying the low amounts of insulin.
 I had my second doctor’s appointment on Monday and everything looks perfect. They weighed me, checked my urine, and my blood pressure. Everything was perfect. The doctor was also able to hear the baby’s heartbeat through my belly. It was in the 160s so he’s predicting a girl (but noted not to go paint the nursery pink just yet).  He was very pleased with all my lab results and gave me a grade of an A+ and he said he doesn’t give those out very often.  I was beaming with pride! I don’t have another doctor’s appointment until September 9th, so it will seem like forever before I can get another checkup on Betus.
Speaking of Betus, it seems she’s/he’s spreading out. I haven’t gained any weight on the scale but I swear my tummy is protruding. I bought a belly band so I don’t have to button my pants (fabulous!). Cary (my husband) said he wanted one too, but I think that may be a bad idea. J I’m seeing maternity clothing in my near future. I’m already partial to dresses, I don’t like anything (including elastic) on my stomach, It’s just not nearly as comfortable as a free flowing, unbinding, moo-moo….ok so it’s not a moo-moo but it doesn’t touch my belly, so it’s fantastic.
I am still pretty hormonal (just ask Cary) but I’m really trying to not be so crazy. It’s really hard though. I have no patience! My new saying is “Pregnancy does not breed patience.” Hopefully Cary will let me slide on some of the craziness; I am creating a human life after all. J The hormones are also making me cry at every sappy commercial. The latest favorite is the Subaru one. The dad is talking to his daughter through the window of the car as the car sits in the driveway ready to back out. The dad tells her things like don’t text while driving, stay off the freeways, etc, and then you see the girl in the driver’s seat is a 5 year old girl. Once she actually turns the key to start the car, she’s a teenager and her dad looks lovingly at her like he still sees the 5 year old girl, aahhhh, it gets me every time! I’m crying just describing it to you, seriously, I’ve got issues! Hopefully, I’ll get it together soon or it’ll get worse, who knows?!

1 comment:

  1. I am sooooo jealous you haven't barfed... I hated when I took my insulin, ate some breakfast, then hurled. I was never sure how much of the breakfast made the return trip so it was a guessing game as to how much OJ would be needed to compensate for the lost food so I could avoid a nasty low. ah, first trimester!

    ReplyDelete