quote


"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you

meet is fighting some kind of battle."





Thursday, August 26, 2010

Day off.....Off day

Yesterday I had a day off, or rather a comp day. I work one Saturday a month and when I work a Saturday, I get a comp day either the week before that Saturday or the week after. I will unfortunately be working this Saturday. I had some errands I wanted to get done, but the thing I most wanted in the world was to take an afternoon nap. I love naps. Always have, and I think I always will. I especially wanted one now that I am pregnant.


So I got up at 7:30am and had my quiet time and then took the dogs for a walk. I ate half a bagel before walking and I started to spike (double arrows up on the dexcom with a 132 reading). Knowing that walking in the mornings usually increases my blood sugar, I checked my sugar to confirm the dexcom, took the full correction bolus and proceeded with my walk. After being home for about 15 minutes, I started to drop. I ate some jelly beans to try to even out the drop, but then the dexcom blared at me with a 79 and double arrows down. I checked my sugar and I’m at 64, so I ate some more jelly beans and waited 15 minutes. I check again and I’m at 41, blah!!! I go get a juice box, sit there for another miserable 15 minutes, and I’m finally back at in the 60s and increasing. Whew, what a fun morning.

I head to the dry cleaners. I drop my clothes off at the dry cleaners and then head to Target. I took back a dress I bought and decided I didn’t need (or really want). So I return the dress and at this point I should have headed out of the store, but I just had to see what was available in maternity. I actually bought my first pair of maternity pants! They were on clearance for $14.95 and they were basic black dress pants, come’ on I had to buy them. I bought a notebook (for my Anatomy and Physiology lab) and proceeded to checkout. In the checkout line, I feel it coming, another low. I look the candy over and grab a small package of gummy bears. Once I’m in the car I check my sugar and sure enough I am in the 60s again. I eat 8 gummy bears at 2 grams of carb each for a total of 16 carbs and I’m on my way.

I get home and I’m starving and ready for lunch. It’s only 11:30am. I check my sugar and I’m now at 123 and according to the dexcom arrow, I’m climbing. BOO!!! I take my bolus and fix my lunch: chunky peanut butter and sugar free strawberry jelly on whole wheat, an Asian pear (thanks Kerri!), and some green peas. (I know this may sound like a weird pregnancy meal, but it’s really not out of the ordinary for me.) I wait another 15 minutes because my arrow is still going up slightly. I can’t wait anymore, I’m starving!

I have an endocrinologist appointment at 1pm. I get ready and head out with a 130 and level arrow on my dexcom. I sit and wait and wait and wait. My endo is never on time or even 30 minutes from being on time. It’s always at least an hour in the waiting room. I am stuck on the dexcom at 140, I check twice within the hour and take the recommended boluses and I finally start to come down. I saw the endo and I have gained 2 pounds and my A1C was 5.3%. That’s about all the endo is good for in my opinion.

By the time I get home it’s 3:15pm and I have a hair appointment at 4:30pm and it takes 30 minutes to get there. So…no nap for me today. But I did get my hair done which always makes me feel good.

It was just one of those days where I didn’t feel like I had a day off but rather I had an off day…ha ha. When diabetes is constantly messing with you, it’s a full time job all on its own.

1 comment:

  1. God I hate going to the Endo. I went yesterday and that man got my $40 copay and all I left with was my A1C and some refills. I haven't even seen the CDE since being pregnant and I don't think I ever will - even though I'm almost 30 weeks!! Oh well...

    ReplyDelete