quote


"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you

meet is fighting some kind of battle."





Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What a week....

And it’s only Wednesday! It all started Saturday, (I know Saturday is not really the start of the week, but bear with me here.) my husband volunteered at Habitat for Humanity and stepped on a framing nail that almost went all the way through his foot. We spent the better part of Saturday night at the immediate care center. His foot is very swollen and he is in a lot of pain, he actually chipped a bone in his foot.



On Sunday, I went to church (without the hubby) and taught our precious 3 and 4 year old class. I then went to our Sunday school class and then to BabysRUs. When I got out of the car at BabysRUs, I threw away an armful of trash from the car. I didn’t happen to notice that I was also carrying my cell phone in my hands when I threw away the trash. I went into BabysRUs, came out and started to drive out of the parking lot while looking for my cell. I couldn’t find it and immediately thought “I threw it in the trash.” I tried to put this thought out of my head and went through my purse, the car and all the pockets I had, but no luck. I turned around to go back to BabysRUs. As I pulled up, the girl was removing the trash bag. I got out of the car and started to look through it. She looked at me. I said, “I think I threw away my cell phone, I’m going crazy.” She said, “Is it pink?” I said, “Yes!” She said, “Yep, I just saw it.” She then helped me look through the bag of trash and found it. It was disgusting, dripping with who knows what. I luckily had a sanitizing wipe in the car from Chick-fil-a (just another reason to love that place!). I disinfected it and was on my way. I can’t believe I did that. :)


I had my Endocrinologist appointment on Monday. I hate going to the Endo, I actually haven’t been in 5 months. (I know that’s terrible, especially since I am pregnant.) I just find it completely pointless. I know what my blood sugars are, I know what to do, I know everything he’s going to tell me. The only reason I go is to get my A1C, blood work and refills on my prescriptions. It always takes forever. My appointment was at 2:45pm and I didn’t get out of there until almost 5pm (and that was actually pretty quick for them)! I don’t know the results of my blood work yet but my A1C was 5.3%! YAY ME!


Tuesday, I had my first OB appointment of the week. My OB office is usually pretty “on time” and if I have to wait, it’s usually not long. Today was an exception. I had an NST and BPP. My appointment was at 11:30am. I waited until 12:30pm then went up to the desk and they said they were running way behind. I finally got called for the NST at 12:45pm. The baby cooperated at least and I was out of there in 30 minutes. I went across the hall for my BPP and I usually don’t have to wait. I sat and waited for another 30 minutes! In the meantime of all this waiting and appointments, I was fighting some really bad lows. I had orange juice with me and I drank it before my NST as I felt the low coming on. I came up to about 75 and then started to drop again. I went through the stash of candy in my purse and waited about 20 mintues. I was at 49! And I still felt like I was dropping! I then suspended my pump and waited another 5 minutes. I still felt like I was dropping. I went to the receptionist and asked for some juice or candy or if there was anywhere I could buy some. She offered me some Hershey kisses and I sat and scarfed down about 7 or 8 of them. I kept my pump suspended for 30 minutes and I finally started coming back up before I left the office. It was awful!


I don’t know what’s going on with my sugars. I started having lows yesterday afternoon and I bumped my basal rate down from .80 to .75. I was up twice Tuesday night with numbers in the 50s. After today’s incident, I bumped it down again to .70. I have now bumped my I:C ratios down as well. Hopefully all this will help. I am a little worried, as it is common for your insulin needs to increase in the 3rd trimester, not decrease. The decrease can be a sign of placenta disentigration, which as you might imagine, is a very bad thing. It doesn’t mean that’s what’s happening, but it could be. I should have mentioned it at the appointment but I just wanted to get out of there. Besides, my NST and BPP (where they look the placenta and measure fluids) were perfect and the baby has been just as active today as usual. So I’m not worried, but well, I guess I am a little.


I had my nursing course this morning and it was exhausting. My blood sugars started dropping again during class. I ate an entire snack bag of cookies from the vending machine (50 carbs!) without insulin. I topped out on my CGM at 147, hovered between 110-120 and then came back down to 74 after about 2 hours. How crazy is that?! I have since lowered my I:C ratios again.


I guess I should call my doctor. I have another appointment to see him tomorrow, so I really don’t want to. I’m scared he might freak out on me and send me to Labor and Delivery. But then again, I guess that is all the more reason to call. Ok, ok, I’ll call him. I’ll let you know how it goes. It’s been quite a week and I am so tired!


1 comment:

  1. Don't make me call your doctor for you! Yikes, how scary! I hope you get it all figured out and SOON!!!

    ReplyDelete