quote


"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you

meet is fighting some kind of battle."





Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Uncomfortable

I am almost 28 weeks pregnant and I am starting to get uncomfortable. This kid is kicking, moving and grooving all the time now…not that I should be surprised, he is related to my husband. :) My skin is itchy because of the stretching skin and he is constantly elbowing me, head butting me or maybe just “butting” me. He is turning summersaults in there! It’s so crazy to be feeling all of it.

 
I am having trouble getting comfortable at all. Sitting at my desk at work, my belly is in the way as I try to get closer to my desk. When I’m lying down to sleep at night, I am incredibly uncomfortable. I hate lying on my sides. I am a back sleeper and I am still constantly waking up on my back. When I do lie on my sides, I wake up because my hip hurts and roll to my other side. My stomach is so much bigger now that it needs support of its own. I can’t seem to find the right support for it; each pillow either seems too soft or too big. Between being uncomfortable and waking up to my CGM vibrating (false alarms, bad sensor that I just can’t seem to pull out and give up on) and peeing, I doubt I sleep more than 1 hour at a time without waking. I don’t feel like I’m getting a good rest.

 On the blood sugar front, I was beginning to wonder if something was wrong because it seems like it’s been a while since I had to increase my basal rates and bolus ratios…until now. It started Saturday night and then Sunday was also a sucky day. I was constantly correcting high sugars, trying to be aggressive but also worrying about “rage bolusing” and going way too low. Well on Monday morning I finally gave in and increased my basal rates by .05 each and up-ed my bolus ratios by 1 each. It seems to be working and I am much more stable now.


It’s so hard to know when your pregnancy is actually causing your insulin needs to increase (as is the normal process for diabetics) or if it was something you ate, or a bad pump site, or a bad pump, or stress, or something you ate that you didn’t carb count correctly. Just too many factors to make changes too quickly. I’m glad to get those sugars down because seeing constantly high numbers can really take a toll on an emotional pregnant woman. It is so easy to get discouraged when you just can’t seem to figure it out quick enough.

 Oh, and since I haven’t been posting very frequently, I did make “A”s in both my classes! YAY! I also had my appointment with the pediatric cardiologist (a standard appointment for women with diabetes since the main birth defect for diabetics is a heart defect) and everything was PERFECT! While we were peaking at him, I asked to see his little boy parts again and the cardiologist complied. He is definitely still a boy! :) I have my next OB appointment on Friday!


1 comment:

  1. Wow, it's like I could have wrote this post! And (I HATE to say it but) I'm kinda glad I'm not the only uncomfortable one here! I was beginning to worry about being a total wuss! But the breathing just gets harder and harder and the sleeping is pretty pathetic. I AM down to only getting up to pee about once or twice a night! (YAY!)

    I TOTALLY agree about the hips being sore and my shoulders get sore too from all the side-lying. And the belly DOES need it's own support but I can never seem to find a way to prop it up comfortably?!? ;-) By morning, I'm so stiff and sore I'm just ready to get out of bed and give up on the sleeping thing!

    And I feel like one of the hardest parts about staying in good control is knowing when to makes changes for the pregnancy and when to chalk it up to bad carb-counting/bad site/off night, etc. And then when I give up and increase my dose I feel like I should have known sooner that it was the pregnancy and not just me. Does it sometimes seem like the guilt and second-guessing will never end? :-)

    It really is nice to have someone going through the same things at the same time. Diabetes and pregnancy still sucks but it really does make it easier!

    Congrats on the A's. And the clean bill of heart health! That was one of the biggest worries for me and I know how good it feels to have the baby pass with flying colors. I hope everything is still going great!

    ReplyDelete