quote


"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you

meet is fighting some kind of battle."





Friday, December 17, 2010

OUCH!!!!

As of yesterday, I am 28 weeks pregnant! Wow! Time has flown since I finished that awful first trimester. My tummy is growing and growing as this baby starts to pack on the pounds.


 I had my monthly OBGYN appointment today. My appointment was at 11:30am and my work schedule begins at 10:30am. Since we still have ice covering every surface in the Louisville area, I asked if I could work from home from 10:30-11am and then go to my appointment and then come into work so I wouldn’t have to be on the icy roads so much. My boss complied. I left the house at 11, which gave me additional time to drive really slow and carefully to my appointment. The only thing is, I should have been more slow and careful before I even got to my car.


I walked out the front door with my snow boots on and my 50 Christmas cards in hand. I was walking so carefully but it didn’t matter. As soon as I stepped on the last step of my front porch, I went flying. Before I even knew what happened I was on the ground with wet jeans. Man, did it hurt! I fell on my left hip and butt area, the contents of my purse spilled out and my cards flew everywhere. I just sat there stunned for a few seconds and then carefully got up and made my way to the grassy area next to the driveway to regain my footing. Did I mention it hurt?! OUCH!


I drove to my appointment and started to worry that I had hurt the baby. At least I was on my way to my OBGYN, so he could make sure everything was ok. I was feeling really shaky and my head began to ache from the jolt of the fall. I almost started to cry, but I was able to hold it together. I got to my appointment and into the office without any trouble.


They called me back for my appointment and I told the nurse about my fall. She said “let’s do a ‘bottoms off’ exam, just to make sure everything is ok.” My doctor didn’t think it was necessary as he explained I am 28 weeks and the baby is still well cushioned in his baby bubble. He said I would be fine and that it would take a bad fall, landing on my belly for it to possibly have caused harm to the baby. He explained that he has seen very bad accidents for the mother where the baby was completely fine. He did say of course that if I experience any bleeding or cramping to go straight to labor and delivery. I felt reassured by his calmness.


When I pulled my pants down to give my urine sample, I found an unpleasant surprise. My pump had completely ripped out when I fell. The pod was still stuck on one side, but the canula was completely disconnected and I had a blood and insulin spot in its place. Lovely! I had extra pods on me but no insulin. I had to drive back home after my appointment to do a new pump site. AHHH!!! As if I wasn’t a wreck already?! Now, I wasn’t getting any insulin. Awesome! Everything ended up being fine, my blood sugar was actually still dropping from breakfast, but man, I just didn’t need that!


My weight, blood pressure and urine sample all looked good. My doctor informed me that he would see me in two weeks for a full ultrasound and appointment. After that appointment, I will be seeing him twice a week for non-stress tests and biophysical profiles. He said that complications in high risk pregnancies usually creep up at the end of pregnancy and since he will be seeing me twice a week, those complications won’t sneak up on us. That is a very comforting thought. I needed a comforting thought after the day I had. :)


3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear evreything's okay... I fell when I was 32 weeks along with my first one. I had just cleaned the bathtub, and then got in to take a shower. Clean tubs are slippery tubs, and I fell and hit my stomach on the side of the tub. I called my OB to make sure everything was fine, but apparently there's this rule that if you fall after your 26th (28th?) week, they make you go to L&D. So I went in, they hooked me up to the monitor and it turned out I was in labour!

    Thankfully, I hadn't abrupted the placenta, and they were able to stop labour after three days in the hospital.

    It is so scary when things like that happen and I'm glad that evrything was okay for you. I can't believe you're already 28 weeks!

    Okay, I'll stop this novel now... have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I'm so glad you are okay! Brad has been so afraid of me falling that he won't let me walk unassisted in the rain or even stand on a step-stool to reach stuff. I have been super clumsy lately (wonder why?!?) so I oblige.

    I can't imagine being pregnant and having to battle with the slippery ice! And to have your pump rip out on top of it all! What a bummer! I think I would have just wanted to climb back in bed and ask for a do-over.

    Good luck with the ultrasound (always so much fun!) and the NSTs. They aren't as much fun but very reassuring. So glad mother and son are still doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes, sounds bad, but glad you are all OK. My dad has been calling to make sure I'll be careful when walking in the rain/sleet/snow (when the snow gets here), a concern I hadn't really thought about. Hope you've been taking it easy, and no more falling!

    I've been wondering if I'll start going more often now to the doc after my Jan 3rd check up. I hope so! I like to get updates :)

    ReplyDelete