quote


"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you

meet is fighting some kind of battle."





Thursday, September 2, 2010

Ignorance is NOT Bliss

Sometimes people can be so ignorant and the funny (or not so funny) thing is they think they know what they are talking about. In the past few weeks, I’ve heard some ridiculous diabetes related comments. Some, let’s say, not so nice comments. Granted I could have avoided these comments had I not shared the fact that I am diabetic, but just ask my husband, I like to share information and most of the time it’s personal.

Situation #1: I am standing in line for a pasta dish in our work cafeteria. The man asks if I would like bread, I say no. He gives me a puzzling look to which I feel I must reply “I don’t need those carbs, I am diabetic.” (of course I am already getting pasta. J )  He says “You don’t look diabetic.”
Reaction: The only thing I could get out (as dumbfounded as I was) was that “I’m Type I.” AS IF every diabetic person is FAT?! Really? If I’m diabetic, I must be fat or even obese?! What a stupid stereotype! Just because I am not fat, I can’t be diabetic. Come ‘on! I guess maybe he thought he was giving me a compliment.

Situation #2: I am in lab class (today actually), and we (a group of 5-7 people) were looking at a model of the human body. The girl points to the pancreas and says “This is the pancreas, it makes hormones such as insulin.” I say “Well mine doesn’t, I’m diabetic…ha ha.” She looks at me and says “You’re too young to have diabetes.”
Reaction: Once again I am dumbfounded and all I can get out is “I’m Type I.” (This seems to be my go-to response as if anyone probably even knows what Type I is and as if that response actually explains why I’m not too young to have diabetes.) AS IF anyone is too young to have diabetes?! You can get diabetes no matter how old or young you are! AHHHH!!!! Why can’t I think of intelligent things to say in the moment?

So what have we learned today? Just because most of the commercials geared toward diabetics involve old or overweight people DOES NOT MEAN that either one is a requirement to have diabetes. You can get diabetes no matter what you have or haven’t done, no matter how fat or thin, no matter how old or young. While some diabetes is preventable (or can be delayed), not all of it can.

I didn’t do anything to get diabetes. I have an autoimmune disease where for some reason my body has decided to attack and destroy the insulin-producing beta cells of my pancreas. Only 5-10% of people with diabetes have this form of the disease, so I guess I am pretty special. But really people, don’t make comments on things you know very little about. It really annoys me (if you couldn’t tell)!!! You are basically looking at me and thinking: Wow, she’s so young and already has diabetes, she must really not take care of herself. This is NOT the case. Your ignorance is not my bliss! 

2 comments:

  1. Love your last line on this post! These situations are SO irritating and unfortunately, don't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon since the big media push is always about type 2. Sorry you had to deal with that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I got on to read your blog and another today----oddly enough, you and this other blog used the EXACT SAME TITLE for your entry---weird! Her blog is http://www.flythroughourwindow.com/ just in case you want to read her entry----maybe your husband can help her! ;)

    ReplyDelete