quote


"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you

meet is fighting some kind of battle."





Thursday, November 18, 2010

While I was away...

So we left for Dothan, AL last Wednesday night after I got off work. We drove to my aunt’s house in Hendersonville, TN, just north of Nashville. We stayed there for the night then got up early the next morning to make our way to Dothan. We got to Dothan about midday on Thursday. Thursday was the family viewing of my Papa. It was so hard. Everyone was crying, no make that bawling. It was really hard. Not to mention, I am almost 6 months pregnant with crazy hormones and there’s also this stupid disease that’s constantly craving attention, the big “D”. I had a pretty bad low on the way to the viewing which surprised me because I thought with all the stress, I’d be running higher. I got down to the 40s and was constantly eating the candy stuffed in purse to try to recover. We got back to the house and oh my goodness the food. People were bringing food in like crazy. And this is really good southern food too, no salads or low carb options here. The many choices included items like macaroni and cheese (heavy on the cheese), casseroles of potatoes and squash, chicken and dumplings, congealed salads with fruit, and various breads. The huge dinning room table had nothing on it but desserts including chocolate cakes, pound cake, cookies, pies, banana pudding, you name it, we had it.



Carb counting was pretty much a nightmare. I definitely guesstimated. I mean how can you even possibly guess how many carbs are in something when you aren’t even sure what ingredients are in it. Overall, I did OK. I’m not saying I deserve a gold star or anything because I could have done better, but I’m cutting myself a break.


The funeral was on Friday. It began with a lunch at the church. The lunch included items like fried chicken tenders, potatoes, and green beans. And, hey there was even salad (of which I had none). :)  I did have a piece of something resembling a coconut chess pie…it was amazing. After the lunch, we had the public viewing, then the funeral service. During this time, I was so upset (not to mention the food I had) my blood sugar rocketed to the 200-250 range and was hard to get down. I swear, diabetes just doesn’t cooperate no matter how down you get, it just doesn’t care.


We stayed at my grandparents’ house while visiting from Thursday through Monday. We slept on a blow up mattress, which was pretty hard on my hip bones considering I can only sleep on my sides now. I thought I was really starting to have problems sleeping, but once we got back home in our bed, I was fine. Must have just been the blow up mattress.


So, we are home now and I am back at work. I have an A&P test on Tuesday and I have been doing nothing but studying since returning home. This test may just kick my butt. We’ll see. Hopefully not. If I do well, I could be exempt from the cumulative final, but we’ll see. I’m trying not to put too much pressure on myself.


It was nice to see all my family while in Alabama. My mother and my Mema (grandmother) even got to feel the baby kick. I do, however, miss my Papa. I’m so sad he’s no longer with us. I know I will always have wonderful memories of him. I love you Papa.


2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your Papa. My grandparents practically raised me and I lost my grandfather at 19. I felt like huge chunk of me went with him so I understand how that kind of loss can affect you. And I can't even imagine going through it while pregnant!

    My family is from the south also and I can totally see/smell/taste all the food you are talking about. It's like that at every one of my family reunions. I try hard to resist but usually end up losing the battle of the wills. No worries, it happens to the best of us!

    Hope you are feeling better soon and good luck on your A&P test!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love you and am glad that you got to see your family, even though the circumstances were not fun. I'm also glad your levels evened out and that you got to enjoy the yummy food. I can't wait to see you this weekend...and hope your levels behave as we have yor shower :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete